Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reflection: Guests and Aliens

The title guests and aliens brings thoughts about the problem of illegal immigration in the United States.  It reminds me that everyday, hundreds or even thousands of illegal immigrants cross the border and enter our magnificent country.  They steal jobs away from hard working Americans, they steal tax money for welfare without even obtaining a US citizenship.  And worst of all, they don't pay taxes when we Americans pay Uncle Sam up to 40% of our income.  These are just a few of the things I think about when I think about immigration. Very anti-immigration, but most of you probably feel the same way.


"Migrations were not simply an indiscriminate flow from poverty, as suggested in the imagery of "mass invasions." If poverty were enough to produce emigration, the the developed countries would indeed be threatened with massive invasions."

I feel that this is what I think of when I think about immigration.  However the author, Saskia Sassen, opposes this point of view shared my many people such as myself.  I don't see any other reason for people to move let alone migrate as a massive group, other than to be closer to their immediate family.  I guess this can be considered narrow minded, but having lived in the United States all my life, I feel it's justified because of living in this culture.

"And for much of the twentieth century it has been recognized that refugees were unwilling departees, pushed by circumstances completely out of their control rather than by the desire for better opportunities in a rich country" "Refugees are now often seen as individuals in search of better opportunities in a rich country"

Sassen mentions that the view of refugees has changed over time.  And according to Sassen, I am one of those poor souls who believe refugees truly seek a opportunities.  But she points out that if this were true, the number of immigrants flocking to rich countries would be truly massive, leaving behind the poverty in would-be deserted poorer countries. Although this statement makes sense, I still can't help but imagine if the US-Mexico border was open, millions of Mexicans immigrants would invade our country, creating chaos in the States.  That being said, I know that my view of immigration is one shaped by the society we live today.  But at the same time, it doesn't make sense that people immigrate solely for the reason of seeking refuge and not money.  In Sassen's article, she presents a different view of immigration, a more informed view.  So what I can take from this is that I shouldn't always come to conclusions based in my own information or personal biases.

No comments:

Post a Comment